055_lnx_evdev_keyboard.diff not working?

Hi,

I'm running kubuntu linux, which uses xorg-6.8.2-10 package, and I noticed
that the 055_lnx_evdev_keyboard.diff was included, and so I wanted to
give it a try.

However when I define a keyboard with evdev protocol:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Right Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "Protocol"              "evdev"
        Option          "Dev Phys"              "usb-0000:03:00.0-1.1/input0"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
EndSection

X gives me the following failure when I try to use it:

(++) ServerLayout "Right"
(**) |-->Screen "Right Screen" (0)
(**) |   |-->Monitor "PHILIPS 107T"
(**) |   |-->Device "Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G550 AGP"
(**) |-->Input Device "Right Keyboard"
(**) Option "Protocol" "evdev"

Config Error:
"evdev" is not a valid keyboard protocol name
(EE) Unable to determine the screen layout
(EE) Error parsing the config file

This seems strange to me, browsing through the code of the source package
it seems the patch is indeed aplied and should provide said functionality,
but still I get this problem...
(using the evdev protocol for my mouse works perfectly by the way)

Then I looked some more, and found the following parts of code, which seem
a bit suspicious to me (but then, I know nothing about the Xserver
implementation so I could be completely wrong here...):

line 29:
static KbdProtocolRec protocols[] = {
   {"standard", PROT_STD },
   { NULL, PROT_UNKNOWN_KBD }
};

and later at line 474:
    switch (prot) {
        case PROT_STD:
           pInfo->read_input = stdReadInput;
           break;
        default:
           xf86Msg(X_ERROR,"\"%s\" is not a valid keyboard protocol name\n",
s);
           xfree(s);
           return FALSE;
    }

I would also expect a "evdev" protocol there...

Did anyone manage to get the evdev protocol to work with the keyboard?
I would be very interested in the used configuration.
Any help or pointers are welcome!

Warm regards,
Mark.