activating ctrl+alt+Fn

Hello,
I'd like to know what I must do to activate the Ctrl+alt+Fn type
switching to VT's. It used to work (long time ago) but stopped working
at some point. I never was able to make it work again.
But that's really not easy to work without it, and I'd like to know how
to make it work again.

I'm using x.org 6.8.1 on debian, but that didn't work on the xfree
packages for more than one year now.
To anwser some questions : yes, the VT's are enabled, but ctrl+alt+F1
does nothing (in fact, ctrl alt +/- doesn't work either. only
ctrl+alt+BS works). I can chvt 1 when I am root, but not another user
(which is logical).

My xorg.conf file says
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "fr-latin9"
EndSection

but the "fr" layout does not work either.
Any help is welcome.

Mickaël Leduque