Problem with X.org xdm and ATI Radeon (?)

Hello,

I have installed the xorg packages (version 6.8.2.dfsg.1-0pre1v1) from
David Nusinow repository and I have the same problem as Sean Neakums
described in his message
(http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2005/06/msg00417.html): xdm flashing
and never displaying the standard login screen, but startx works perfectly.

Here is the error message from xdm.log:

X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  14 (X_GetGeometry)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  42
[repeated]

Here is my hardware information:
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]
LCD screen at 1400x1050

and my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file contains:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "ATI Technologies, Inc. RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]"
        Driver          "ati"
EndSection

It may be a problem in the ati driver as Sean also had a Radeon graphic
card.

Please ask me if you want more details about my configuration (I don't
want to flood the mailing list with possibly useless information).

A big thank you to everyone hard working here!

Fred

PS: please CC me as I am not subscribed to the list. Thanks!