[biebl@teco.edu: Experiences with X.Org upgrade]

----- Forwarded message from Michael Biebl <biebl@teco.edu> -----

Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 02:21:52 +0200
From: Michael Biebl <biebl@teco.edu>
To: dnusinow@debian.org
Subject: Experiences with X.Org upgrade

Hi David,

when I read your blog entry
http://www.livejournal.com/users/gravityboy/14794.html I got interested
and wanted to try your new X.Org packages. I'm using an up to date
Debian sid system and tried your packages from
http://people.debian.org/~dnusinow/xorg. All in all the upgrade was
pretty smooth, I just noticed some minor issues I wanted to tell you:

1.) The transitional package xfree86-common was selected automatically
but didn't install/upgrade (and uninstall) cleanly. I had to add the
flag -f to update-rc.d in xfree86-common.postinst on line 810 and to
xfree86-common.postrm on line  798/805.
2.) I still had the old xfree86 entries in /etc/X11/Xsession.d, namely
20xfree86-common_process-args,
30xfree86-common_xresources,
50xfree86-common_determine-startup,
90xfree86-common_ssh-agent and
99xfree86-common_start
after the upgrade.
I deleted them manually and had no ill effects.
3.) There was no replacement/smooth upgrade for
xfree86-driver-synaptics. I had to uninstall it manually. Maybe you
could talk to Mattia Dongili (the Debian maintainer) to provide a
corresponding xorg-driver-synaptics package to provide a smooth upgrade.
As a workaround I installed the xorg-driver-synaptics package from
Ubuntu which worked fine.

All in all I was quite pleased by the upgrade and the quality of your
packages. I hope we will see them in unstable very soon.
Keep up the good work!

Michael
E-Mail: biebl@teco.edu
WWW: http://www.teco.edu/

TecO (Telecooperation Office) Vincenz-Priessnitz-Str.1
University of Karlsruhe 76131 Karlsruhe, Germany

----- End forwarded message -----