Re: X Strike Force X.Org X11 SVN commit: r259 - trunk/debian

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 09:47:24AM -0500, X Strike Force SVN Repository Admin wrote:
> Author: dnusinow
> Date: 2005-06-24 09:47:10 -0500 (Fri, 24 Jun 2005)
> New Revision: 259
>
> Log:
> - Increment changelog to open entry for what will be the first upload to
>   unstable.
> - Update TODO list to reflect priorities for initial unstable upload.

Hi everyone,
   Here's the updated status of what's going on. With the ftp-master move
in progress, I decided to skip uploading the current packages to
experimental as planned. Instead what I've done is uploaded them to my
space on people.debian.org[0]. I've been told that this server won't be one
of those moving, so it should remain up during the transition. These
packages are snapshots of our current status and are exactly the packages
that would have gone in to experimental.

  After talking with a number of people, I've decided that we should
simply go straight for unstable with our first real upload. The goals for
getting a first upload to unstable are still the same, with the only
substantial part comprising the patch audit to make sure there are no
obvious regressions from our current packages. Hopefully ftp-master will be
all settled by then and we can upload to unstable normally. In addition,
this will prevent people from having to mess with all the other stuff in
experimental (which is difficult if you don't understand
/etc/apt/preferences) just to get X.Org.

  So that's where things currently stand. I'm also working on formulating a
coherent long-term plan. I checked the X.Org modular CVS tree a few days
ago and there was still very little in the server directory, so
unfortunately the modular tree will have to continue to wait. Since the 6.9
monolithic tree will (hopefully) be identical to the 7.0 modular tree aside
from build system, I'd like to branch off from our first unstable upload
and begin immediately producing packages for CVS HEAD snapshots of what
will become 6.9. I *really* want the modular tree, but I want our users to
have the latest code more, so we stop lagging behind upstream. I'd love to
hear from Josh and Daniel as to what's going on with modularization though,
since that may change my plans.

  I'm going to try to find the time to attack the patch list this weekend,
although it promises to be busy for me. Nathanael, here's your chance to
shine some more! Anyone else who wants to help get X.Org in to unstable is
more than welcome to join in knocking patches off the TODO list. We've hit
a milestone today, and we should be happy about it, but we haven't crossed
the finish line yet.

 - David Nusinow

[0] Just put "deb http://people.debian.org/~dnusinow/xorg ./" in your
    /etc/apt/sources.list (without quotes).