Re: X Strike Force X.Org X11 SVN commit: r149 - trunk/debian

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 10:10:54PM -0500, X Strike Force SVN Repository Admin wrote:
> +* Rename {xfree86,xorg}-common to x11-common -- the purpose of the package is to
> +  provide the prerequisites for any X11 installation on a Debian system.
> +  (For now, that includes the /usr/*/X11 symlinks, but the package will still be
> +  useful -- if not the source of as many reverse dependencies -- even if the X11
> +  installation moves to /usr.)

I've used x-common for Ubuntu, and would prefer it if Debian could do
the same; we don't need any more points of difference in our X
implementations.  x11-common would need a postinst that removed the
/usr/*/X11 symlinks when X moves to /usr; x-common already provides
this.

> +* Decide whether to build liboldX or not.

FWIW, I believe only one package in the entirety of Debian was using
this (I got LaMont to check, and the number was low enough that it
didn't matter; also, it's had eighteen years to update now).