Re: nv driver: tearing artefacts

> Using xv (e.g. xine) in fullscreen mode I see a lot of short
> horizontal lines flickering all over the screen. AFAIK these
> are called "tearing artefacts", but I am not sure about the
> terminology. Plus there are some noisy dots at the left edge
> of the screen.

A quite similar problem seems to exist with the closed source nvidia
driver and Dell monitors. I have a Dell 2405FPW and a GeForce FX5600,
so not exactly the same setting, but I can reproduce something similar.
When I turn the TwinView feature on, the horizontal lines flickering
goes away. This is what I added to my xorg.conf to get things to work
smooth (replace the 1920x1200 by 1600x1200 for your Dell 2000FP):

Section "Device"
        Option "TwinView"
        Option  "MetaModes" "DFP-0: 1920x1200, CRT-0: 1920x1200"
        Option  "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
        Option  "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT-0, DFP-0"

I have horrible flickering as above in Windows (over VGA), and no
solution for that (and I don't have any solution how to bring that
screen into 1920x1200 over DVI on Windows, no flickering in the
1600x1200 mode over DVI, though).

--
Bernd Paysan
http://www.jwdt.com/~paysan/