Re: Ging 0.1.0

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 09:49:41PM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 04:55:06PM +0000, Lee Braiden wrote:
> > >
> > > Uhm that suggests that read-edid is not really needed, and frequencies
> > > should just be removed from xorg.conf.
> >
> > This works better with the onboard prosavage chipset and (unknown) packard
> > bell monitor that I'm using for gnu/kfreebsd too.
> >
> > With debconf, I had to guess the frequencies, which didn't work out so well :)
> > I looked around for read-edid, and looked into trying to compile it, but I
> > gave up when I saw it directly talks to the BIOS/interrupts; figured that
> > wouldn't compile without some work.
> >
> > Anyway, I knew Xfree/Xorg was supposed to cope with this stuff, so I tried
> > just removing the frequency data from the X config file, and it worked just
> > fine.
> >
> > read-edid *is* a nice little tool, but I think the main problem is that
> > debconf is overzealous about choosing when the frequencies need to be
> > manually specified.
>
> Wouldn't be so strange (seen this before with xserver-xorg debconf templates).
>
> I'm adding CC to debian-x so they can comment on this.

I'm *very* interested in the current autodetection capabilities that the X
server has. I understand that Sun is shipping their X installs without a
config file at all, so it seems to get a lot right.

That said, I don't want to destroy the debconfage just yet, at least not
without significant testing. aiui, the resolution stuff is particularly
hard to get right too. But my personal wishlist bug against the X server is
to get it to autodetect everything on a Debian system without a config
file, so I plan to work on this once the modular packages are shippable. If
you want to get started on this, feel free, but for me everything else is
on hold until the modular packages are ready to go.

 - David Nusinow