help needed with modular Xprint [Was: Re: Modular Server Debs!]

David wrote:

> But we've got some real progress here and hopefully we'll be able to start
> running our own modular packages very soon.

Great to hear!

There seems to be a problem with modularised Xprt.  I've tried generating it
using

./autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/xorg-modular/ --enable-xprint --disable-glx
  --disable-xinerama --disable-dri --disable-composite

(the --enable-xprint should be the important one I think :) ).

It successfully builds an Xprt binary, but when I try to run the binary it
fails, saying

       Fatal server error:
       no screens found

I'm not deep enough into the X internals to know why this error is happening
or what can be done about it, so this is a call for help for any interested
parties or knowledgable types to provide clues.

One suggestion is that it's come about by accident in the course of
developed the unified video+print server in the 6.9 code, perhaps due to a
misplaced #define or -D somewhere.  If that's the case then the error may
occur in 6.9's Xprt as well. The arrangement of the x.org code is
subtly yet sufficiently different to the xprint.mozdev.org code I've worked
with till now that I haven't yet tried building Xprt from the 6.9 code. I
was sort of hoping to skip 6.9 and jump straight to modularised 7.0 for the
next version of Xprint.

I've logged my test builds at the xorg-modular mailing list,
http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-modular/2005-November/000796.html
http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-modular/2005-September/000680.html

If anyone can advise on how to move beyond this "no screens found" error,
I'd be most grateful!

Drew Parsons