Re: questions about branches/modular

On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 01:23:45AM +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
> I tried to build part of the x11proto and lib packages from svn, and I
> have a few questions.
> - x11proto-xext-dev depends on libxi-dev; libxi build-depends on
>   libx11-dev; libx11 build-depends on x11proto-xext-dev. This creates a
>   cycle, which I broke by installing x11proto-xext-dev without
>   libxi-dev, and everything seemed to be fine. Is this dependency really
>   needed?

If you do dependencies correctly, bootstrapping is going to be a bitch
because we haven't yet fully split up proto/lib headers upstream, and
it's unclear if we're going to, given that it breaks API unless you do
it just right.

So, for now, just force the deps.

> - many configure scripts seem to have been generated without including
>   util/macros/xorgversion.m4, and so XORG_RELEASE_VERSION wasn't
>   replaced by its definition;

This is a purely cosmetic issue; it's only used for generating official
release tarballs..

> - libxi failed to build the manpages. I patched man/Makefile.am,
>   ran aclocal -I ../util/macros and autoconf, then patched
>   debian/rules and debian/libxi-dev to install them (patch attached).

Err, your patch is hideously incorrect.  Install util/macros to get
xorg-macros.m4, and then re-autoreconf.  But the libxi-dev.install
patch is right.

Cheers,
Daniel