Monitor flashes with ATI 9200 AGP

I recently bought a flat panel monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 204T).  My card
has a DVI, VGA, and S-Video output.  Res is 1600x1200.  Vanilla kernel
2.6.12 with intel-agp and radeon drivers loaded.  Systemboard is a
Supermicro X5DA8 with 2 xeon 2.6ghz processors.  Monitor is attached via DVI
cable.  I have not tested any other cables or monitors since those flat
panel things are just too expensive =)  My previous monitor was a Princeton
EO900 (ran at 1400x1050 and had no problems).  The system has been turned
off since the flat panel was installed as the card didn't activate the
digital interface until it was reset.

When doing some operations (Moving very large windows, 3d graphics like
Quake 3 or xscreensaver-gl's gears with -planetary -fps -delay 0) causes the
monitor to blank out.  Quake3 mostly causes the screen to blank and never
show anything.  Running gears causes it to blank as well, however the
display comes back, but goes out again until it's closed.

This was with XFree86 4.3 (One of the versions before Sarge stabilized).  I
decided to install Xorg from SID instead.  The blanking wasn't as bad but was
still bad enough that gears was unviewable.  Quake3 still was blank.  I
noticed there was a newer Xorg in /debian/pool/main/x/xorg-x11 so I
installed it (version 6.8.99.901.dfsg.1-1) which is doing much better and
Quake3 is actually usable, but the screen does still blank occasionally.

 Got Gas???