Re: 6.8.99.900.dfsg.1-0pre1 slow to map windows

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 14:33 +0200, Xavier Bestel wrote:

> I have noticed that with xserver-xorg 6.8.99.900.dfsg.1-0pre1 windows
> are really slow to map (initial mapping and virtual desktop switch),
> with and without DRI, with and without Composite, with and without
> xcompmgr -a or -c.

Interesting, I sometimes notice this too, but I thought it was due to
running xcompmgr...

> For example, Evolution full-screen (1920x1200) takes 2 seconds to map
> completely after a virtual desktop switch, a gnome terminal displays a
> black window after 1 second, and another 1 second later windows
> decorations and bash prompt appear. Afterwards things are as fast as
> usual (i.e. 6.8.2.dfsg.1-*).

So you're saying that mapping windows was significantly faster in 6.8?
Does this also manifest in x11perf tests such as -create or -map?

> Is that some known shortcoming in experimental, or should I report that
> in debian or upstream ?

As I'm currently running a local build from CVS, I don't see how it
could be Debian specific. Please report your findings on the xorg
mailing list and/or on bugs.freedesktop.org.