Re: x libraries and powerpc/ppc64 biarch setup.

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 10:17:07AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> In an attempt to look about how to best bring biarch 64bit support to the
> powerpc architecture, and after Andreas Jochens asked about powerpc 64bit
> xlibs support for some apps he is using and which needs 64 bit support, i am
> wondering what the opinion of the X strike force team is about adding a couple
> of lib...64... versions of the X librariesfor the etch timeframe. They would
> need to be rebuilt with the -m64 flag, but shouldotherwise just work, thanks
> to the great work of our toolchain folk.
>
> So, would the above be excluded totally, do you have another better solution
> (like using a design with a 64bit backend and a 32bit X frontend, not sure how
> this would be efficiency-wise, but it would probably need a lot of work for
> the applications to be rewritten in this way).
>
> x apparently already builds just fine in 64bit mode, or at least Andreas
> Jochens has done it, and if multi-arch ever becomes really usable, then
> another approach would be needed, in the meantime, the biarch is support we
> will have for etch.

I'm willing to implement biarch for etch, but definitely not for the 6.8
series of packages.

The 6.9 branch is technically open for development, but I still want to
keep a focus on the goal of shipping the modular tree with etch.

As such, I'm going to add this to the TODO list for the 7.0 packages,
since I plan to focus on those as soon as the 6.9 stuff stabilizes. If it
gets to the point where it doesn't look like we can ship 7.0 with etch,
this can be put in to the 6.9 packages that will ship.

Either way, if etch is really going to support biarch I'd like to provide
that support.

 - David Nusinow