Questions about "/usr/X11R6"

Hi list,

(My apologies if this is the wrong list for this
question, but it's the closest one I could find.
Please CC me on replies.)

After being a long time Debian user, then switched
to Gentoo for a couple of months, and now being
back to Debian, I noticed the following..

Gentoo documentation says "/usr/X11R6" is
deprecated in Xorg, and they're installing all X
binaries to /usr/bin, libraries to /usr/lib, manpages
in /usr/share/man, fonts in /usr/share/fonts, modules
in /usr/lib/modules, etc. In their X11R7.0 packages
it seems they're even dropping "x" from manpage
sections. After coming back to Debian I noticed Xorg
is still in the old /usr/X11R6 tree.

What I was wondering is..

1. If different Linux distributions install X11 in
different places, won't there be compatibility and/or
interoperability problems between distributions? (this

is assuming other distributions lost /usr/X11R6 too,
haven't checked but Gentoo's X maintainer said at
least once that Gentoo's layout is backed up by other
X packagers.)

2. If X11R7 stabilizes, will it be in /usr/X11R7 for
Debian? Or /usr/X11R6? Will there be a symlink
between these directories? Will there be some
coordination commitee for working out the details
between distributors?