Re: bug administratif... (administrativ bug found...)

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 12:43:31PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Thursday 08 September 2005 10:22, Sven Luther wrote:
> > It is well possible that a similar detection problem is present in the
> > XFree86 package, and the fact that it works fine in ubuntu is probably
> > due to them using X.org, where this bug is absent.
>
> Another possible reason for differences is that Ubuntu Hoary uses a
> different kernel (2.6.10 IIRC) than Sarge (2.6.8).

Also hotplug in the installer rather than discover, which could easily
make a difference to hardware detection (and shifts more of the burden
to the kernel, so kernel versions are more likely to make a difference
to what hardware is detected). I've contributed that code from Ubuntu
back to d-i so that it can be enabled by building the initrd in a
different way, but I can't make the decision for Debian on whether to
use discover or hotplug. This makes it quite difficult for me to deal
with mails that say "Ubuntu can detect this but Debian can't; why
haven't you contributed these improvements?", because in many cases
there's little more I can do.

(It's true that I didn't manage to get the hotplug stuff into d-i before
sarge released, though. Mea culpa.)

Cheers,