Re: debugging X crash that requires hardware reset

Michel Dänzer said:
> On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 20:47 -0700, Zack Weinberg wrote:
>> [...] since it was happening on a twice-daily basis
>> using the 6.8.2.dfsg.1-5 packages, and only happens once every few days
>> since I backed down to -4, that is where my suspicions lie.
>
> I don't see any obviously related changes in the changelog between -4
> and -5 though...

There was the compiler change in there, though.  The mis-optimization may
have been beneficial in some corner case in the Radeon driver.  (handwave,
handwave)

>> Can anyone suggest how to debug this sort of crash?  I'm willing to try
>> just about anything.
>
> First of all, does disabling the DRI work around the problem?

I'll try that, but as I have no reliable way to reproduce the problem, I
will only be able to provide a guess, and that only after several days.
GL wasn't ever in use at the time of the crashes, though.  (I'll go back
to -5 at the same time, to increase the odds of provoking the bug if it
isn't due to DRI.)

> PS: This should probably be a bug report instead of only a list thread.

It did not seem useful to submit a bug report with this level of vagueness
about the cause.  If you would prefer a bug report I can certainly file
one.

zw