Re: dpi again

On Monday 01 August 2005 13:10, Bastian Venthur wrote:
| Hello List,
<snip>
 I'd like to suggest something like: If you run dpkg-reconfigure
| xserver-xorg the wizard could ask for the screensize of your monitor (15'',
| 17'', ...) and your desired default resolution (here I mean with
| resolution: 1280x1024pixels). Now the wizard could calculate the correct
| dpi-setting and change all configs as nessessary.

Hi Bastian,
  your suggestion unfortunately doesn't work :
dpi is amount of dots your monitor has per inch,
  and is not really related to preferred videomode,
  but instead relates to highest number of pixels
    monitor would be capable of displaying correctlly
    (if videocard could produce it and monitor settings were optimal,
      and monitor would be capable of completely linear display).
Furthermore, your problem (suboptimal fontsize) is caused by
  applications that specify fontsize in points instead of in pixels
  (pixels would be best unit to specify size of displayfonts in, imo).
So only way to get this fixed is to file a bug against packages that
  give you fonts of suboptimal sizes (probably kde in your case).
This is also most natural thing to do,
  as it are kde programs whose behaviour you dislike,
  and if kde maintainers feel it is really an X problem, they can reassign it.

I hope this helps.

  Siward
  (home.wanadoo.nl/siward)