Re: xkb error

Denis Barbier wrote:

> [...]
> I ran instead:
>   apt-get install -d --reinstall xlibs
>   dpkg --purge --force-depends xlibs
>   rm -rf /etc/X11/xkb
>   dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/xlibs_4.3.0.dfsg.1-12_all.deb
>   apt-get install --reinstall xbase-clients
> (The last command is to reinstall compiled/ and xkbcomp links under
> /etc/X11/xkb)
> But maybe there are simpler alternatives?
>
> Denis

thanks also to daniel stone!
i followed the above procedure and everything worked :-)
thanks and again bear with me if i disturbed you in debian-x, which is not the place where common users should apply.

aldo

p.s. ....but, there is always a "but" isn't it?
actually the above one was only the last step, other problems which i did not notice before were present in my system. this morning while updating sid i received an error because the upgrading process of gnumeric could not find/make the following file/dir: could not make directory /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/schemas/apps/gnome-settings/gnumeric which was anyway impossible to do because gnome-settings was a normal file not a dir nor i was able to uninstall gnumeric because of similar errors (prerm could not find some files if i recollect well). at that point i was really fed up and decided to uninstall the whole gnome suite..... but gnumeric blocked the whole process. though i have been using linux (debian) for 7 years now i am not such an expert to know how to solve the problem (and i must say i was swearing against myself for having installed a desktop having worked happily for many years making use of wmaker and fluxbox!) to make short a long story i copied /etc/gconf from another partition of my hd where ubuntu hoary is installed and the uninstall process ended correctly. afterwords i launched icewm and checked again cat /var/log/XFree86.0.log |grep -i xkb , the error which appeared before (mentioned in my previous post) had disappeared but still alt-gr did not work ("alt-gr à" which in the "it" keyboard should produce "#" gave "à") only then i went through the procedure denis barbier had suggested and everything has been fixed.
now i am very wary of reinstalling gnome :-D