Re: X.org Packaging Roadmap

>>>>> "daniel" == Daniel Stone <daniel@fooishbar.org> writes:

    daniel> Another interesting question is what to do with version
    daniel> numbers, since 6.8.2-1 will suddenly become ambiguous.

    Well, one possible solution could be use 6.8.2.debian-1 as version.

    >> 3) Make sure they build on x86, ppc, and whatever else we have
    >> lying around collectively. Also make sure they install
    >> properly.

    daniel> Ubuntu is actually a step ahead of Debian here in that we
    daniel> do source-only uploads, so every arch gets autobuilt: it's
    daniel> fine on amd64, i386, powerpc, sparc, and ia64.  hppa
    daniel> should also be alright.

    Yes. This is a good thing and this also solve some mistakes (I did
    it in last week) of using a not clean machine for building.

    >> Now, I haven't been following the xorg modularization list (I
    >> did subscribe finally though) so I don't know the progress on
    >> that. I think it'll be a good idea to begin packaging it once
    >> things begin to take shape. Since a lot of the work has already
    >> been done by Daniel for his debrix tree, we should be able to
    >> figure out the basics of what we'll need to do. I think that we
    >> should start a branch for the modular tree once the tree itself
    >> begins to take enough of a shape that we can work on it. We can
    >> worry about transitioning to it once we actually can see what's
    >> going on. If we release etch with packages derived from the
    >> monolithic tree, so be it.

    daniel> I've been working upstream on the modular tree on my week
    daniel> off, and the libs are done, and the server is well on the
    daniel> way.

    How far we currently are from modular tree? If it's not so far,
    could be better we help and improve it's speed and then use it
    directly inside of Debian. What you think?

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116