Re: Joystick & xserver-xfree86/unstable?

Hi,

Do you know of an alternative? Maybe a user space program that converts joystick parameters to XF86 mouse input?

Heh, that sums up the problem with X. People would rather go try something else than fix things.

Well, when it comes to X, I'm more user than developer and don't really feel that able to "fix things", sorry.

Nope, no idea. I'm amazed that your input device is used as a joystick though.

So am I. It's odd that the kernel doesn't offer a mouse or touchscreen emulation for it, I haven't found yet where I might change this.

What touchscreen is it and what linux driver are you using?

It's the touchscreen of a Sony Vaio U50, a keyboardless x86-PDA that looks like a shrunken tablet-PC.

The touchscreen is identified as a "GUNZE USB Touch Panel" by the Linux kernel's input driver. I use a vanilla 2.6.10 from kernel.org and /proc/bus/input/devices gives me:

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=0637 Product=0003 Version=0100
N: Name="GUNZE USB Touch Panel"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1d.1-1/input0
H: Handlers=event2 js0
B: EV=b
B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: ABS=100 3

I tested the /dev/input/js0 device and it is an accurate joystick emulation from the touchscreen's input.

Now all I need is either a mouse emulation for this touchscreen somewhere in the kernel, somewhere in X or a userspace program that maps joystick input to X pointer input.

Thanks,

Hanno