Re: x.org xserver endemic issue on hardware change

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 01:52:25AM +0100, Bluefuture wrote:
> i want to talk to you about a problem in x.org/xserver.
> When a newbie user change the video card or some other sensible
> component - like monitor - caused by a component crash or simply by an
> hardware upgrade Xfree and X.org in debian an ubuntu will not start
> again on the first boot with the new hardware (specially if the user
> change the videocard with another one that need a different driver).
> For an expert user is simple to solve, but for a newbie:
> 1st he had a crashed system
> 2nd The rescue process isn't good for a newbie:
> login to the console, sudo with  dpkg-reconfigure --priority=high
> xserver-xfree86
>
> IMHO isn't a good solution.
> How we can approach to solve this problem?

Cache the output of either lspci -n | grep 'Class (280|300)' or
discover; if a) X fails to start, and b) the configuration has changed,
have ?dm throw up a Debconf prompt saying 'I think your hardware has
changed, should I have a shot at reconfiguring?'.