Removing Xprint a bad idea (was: Re: X Strike Force XFree86 SVN commit: r2174 - in trunk/debian: . patches scripts)

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 02:00:12AM -0500, X Strike Force SVN Repository Admin wrote:
> Apply patch from Steve Langasek to drop the xprt package, and stop
> building the Xprt X server, since this functionality did not work in any
> version of XFree86 up to 4.3.0, and has moved to the xprt-xprintorg
> package.  (The client-side Xp library is still built.)  Thanks, Steve!
> + Update patch #003 to #define XprtServer NO and BuildXprintLib YES on
>   Debian systems.  Resync patches #004, #099c, #099s, and #600.
> + Update rules file to stop turning off the build of Xprt in the server
>   debug target, since that's now redundant.
> + Update MANIFEST files to reflect the fact that Xprt is no longer built.
> + Remove xprt package's stanza from debian/control.
> + Remove debian/xprt.install debhelper file.
>
> Remove delcaration of non-DFSG-freeness of the Compugraphic and Adobe
> fonts (shipped as part of the Xprt server) from debian/copyright.  Update
> the prune-non-free script to stop removing these files from the upstream
> archive.  Roland Mainz has argued fairly persuasively on the debian-x
> mailing list that the fonts were in fact freely licensed.  In the event
> Mr. Mainz is wrong, the point is pretty close to void, since 1) Xprt is
> not being built or shipped anymore; 2) this change does not restore the
> files in question to the .orig.tar.gz; 3) the X Strike Force doesn't
> anticipate shipping these files in the future X.Org packages, either.

I think this is a bad idea, because the head of Xprint development is
now X.Org, and this creates unnecessary divergence between the XFree86
and X.Org packaging, making it harder to merge changes, and even more
likely that regressions will slip through, and will serve only to
further delay the introduction of X.Org into Debian due to these side
effects.

If this change is to further ease packaging of the behemoth-esque
monolithic tree, then it is understandable.  But if it is to improve
the life of Xprint users, then it does not do so, because they can
always still install xprt-xprintorg, and it will actually make their
life worse when X.Org moves into Debian, and this introduction, as I
have stated earlier, will be delayed, in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the back of Xprint, and to see
a fully modular tree with an external Xprint.  But as that's what's
not happening, I see no reason why this commit is anything other than
counterproductive, especially when xprt-xprintorg is already available,
and has been for some time.  I would therefore strongly encourage this
commit to be reverted.