uxterm and no UTF-8 locale (followup to bug #246398)

Hello,

I think that the fix for bug #246398 still causes some problems because
with the default install, priorities for x-terminal-emulator are:

x-terminal-emulator - status is auto.
 link currently points to /usr/X11R6/bin/uxterm
/usr/X11R6/bin/xterm - priority 20
 slave x-terminal-emulator.1.gz: /usr/X11R6/man/man1/xterm.1x.gz
/usr/X11R6/bin/uxterm - priority 30
 slave x-terminal-emulator.1.gz: /usr/X11R6/man/man1/uxterm.1x.gz
/usr/bin/rxvt-xterm - priority 10
 slave x-terminal-emulator.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/rxvt.1.gz
/usr/bin/rxvt-xpm - priority 8
 slave x-terminal-emulator.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/rxvt.1.gz
Current `best' version is /usr/X11R6/bin/uxterm.

Here are some informations about my locales:

fred@apollon:~$ cat /etc/locale.gen
fr_FR@euro ISO-8859-15

fred@apollon:~$ locale
LANG=fr_FR@euro
LC_CTYPE="fr_FR@euro"
LC_NUMERIC="fr_FR@euro"
LC_TIME="fr_FR@euro"
LC_COLLATE="fr_FR@euro"
LC_MONETARY="fr_FR@euro"
LC_MESSAGES="fr_FR@euro"
LC_PAPER="fr_FR@euro"
LC_NAME="fr_FR@euro"
LC_ADDRESS="fr_FR@euro"
LC_TELEPHONE="fr_FR@euro"
LC_MEASUREMENT="fr_FR@euro"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="fr_FR@euro"
LC_ALL=

Then, trying to run uxterm (from either rxvt or xterm) without any UTF-8
locale results in:

fred@apollon:~$ uxterm
uxterm tried to use locale fr_FR.UTF-8
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
fred@apollon:~$

And for instance in icewm the XTerm icon seems to do nothing without any
error message. Maybe the priorities of xterm and uxterm could be
reversed (or the uxterm script could be made smarter to launch xterm if
no UTF-8 locale is found).

Fred

PS: please CC me as I am not subscribed to debian-x