XKB on xserver

Hi,

I've got a question that I hope someone here can answer.
I have this machine 'joe' that is really only used as an x-terminal. So it's got almost no packages installed. The only X packages I installed are the xserver-xfree86 and its dependecies (xserver-common and xfree86-common).

Since my wife is russian and I'm dutch, I really would like XKB support. But it appears that one really needs to install xbase-clients to get that.

Some more about the setup... quark is the application server and runs gdm. It also supplies everything else. It is the main machine in the house. Its XKB support works just fine. Joe starts X from inittab using '-query quark'. And unless quark is used for W2k for kids games, it works just great!

What I would like is to have XKB on joe without all the useless stuff that's being dragged in by xbase-clients. How do I do that?
I don't think this is an unusual situation, is it?

Thanks,
Jan Evert