Re: Is the Freetype bytecode interpreter on or off?

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 10:02:13PM -0400, Peter Constantinidis wrote:
> I've been doing searches on the web and this mailing list and I cannot find
> any answers regarding this.
>
> I don't anti-alias my fonts, which is why in my case having the bytecode
> interpreter on would be a good idea.
>
> Thanks for any answer in regards to how Debian does it.

Sorry it has taken a while to get back to you about this issue.

Debian's XFree86 packages use the upstream default for this.

Looking at the source package (after unpacking and patching the tree):

$ grep -3 BYTECODE xc/extras/freetype2/include/freetype/config/ftoption.h

  /*************************************************************************/
  /*                                                                       */
  /* Define TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER if you want to compile   */
  /* a bytecode interpreter in the TrueType driver.  Note that there are   */
  /* important patent issues related to the use of the interpreter.        */
  /*                                                                       */
  /* By undefining this, you will only compile the code necessary to load  */
  /* TrueType glyphs without hinting.                                      */
  /*                                                                       */
#define  TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER

So, there's your answer -- it's on.

> BTW, I know the option is in a header file that is toggled at compile time,
> wishful thinking wise, it would be nice if it was possible to change that
> to an /etc file so the user could flip it on and off as needed.

Sounds like a good idea; I recommend filing a wishlist bug against the
libfreetype6 package.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     There's something wrong if you're
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     always right.