xauth stopped

So I am happily working along with my XFree86/fluxbox [unstable]
setup, creating terminals with via fluxkeys and spawning X clients
from said terminals until suddenly, out of the frickin' blue:

  cirrus:~> x-terminal-emulator
  Xlib: No protocol specified

  urxvt-ml: can't open display :0.0, aborting.

No, I am not su'd or in a chroot or subshell, this is just me in
a terminal that was opened by my fluxbox instance. But fluxbox now
can't open windows anymore either, writing the above errors to
~/.xsession-errors for each try.

What happened? How can this happen? .Xauthority seems to have all
the cookies I need. The file is fine. But I cannot create new
X clients.

Please advice (and CC me on replies).

`. `'`