Re: Problem

On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 12:09:35PM +0200, Luigi Di Primio wrote:
> I tried the knoppix live-cd, but there are some problem with my graphic
> card.  Can you help me??

  XFree86 Version 4.3.0.1 (Debian 4.3.0-0pre1v5 20031207095205 daniels@debian.org)

This version of the XFree86 packages is pretty old by now.

xfree86 (4.3.0-0pre1v5) experimental; urgency=low
[...]
 -- Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>  Fri,  5 Dec 2003 21:18:07 -0500

  (II) Bus -1: bridge is at (0:17:0), (0,-1,-1), BCTRL: 0x0008 (VGA_EN is set)
  (--) PCI:*(1:0:0) nVidia Corporation NV28 [GeForce4 Ti 4800 SE] rev 161, Mem @ 0xd6000000/24, 0xd8000000/27, BIOS @ 0xd7fe0000/17
[...]
  (II) LoadModule: "GLcore"
  (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a

  Fatal server error:

  _LoaderFileToMem() read() failed: Input/output error

  When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
  the full server output, not just the last messages.
  This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
  Please report problems to debian-x@lists.debian.org.

Gee, thanks, Knoppix, for shipping an experimental version of the XFree86
packages meant for Debian internal beta testing without even bothering to
update the contact address.

We'll probably be getting misguided bug reports from Knoppix users for
years to come.

At any rate, I've never seen this exact type of failure before.  It's
possible that either:

  1) an incompatible version of the binary-only NVidia GLX modules is on
     the Knoppix CD or your system;
  2) your chipset simply is not supported by this version of XFree86; try a
     more recent version, such as the one in Debian sid ("unstable")

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     There's something wrong if you're
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     always right.