Re: Future of X packages in Debian

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Andreas Metzler wrote:

> Fabio Massimo Di Nitto <fabbione@fabbione.net> wrote:
> [...]
> > * What kinds of X packages would you like to see in the future?
>
> As a user, all I care about:
> * DFSG-free

That's one of the reason we need to change.

> * is ready whenever Debian would like to make a release, i.e. X should
>   not be the delaying point itself.

Since 4.3.0.dfsg it has always been ready for release. We even delayed
uploads to let the previous version entering sarge. Branden and I agreed
that each release has to be a "good" one for stable. Of course we cannot
avoid the unpredictable as i am sure everybody understand.

> > * Should we go our own way starting from the "sanitized" XFree86 CVS
> >  snapshot we've prepared?
>
> Do you think this is sustainable? Currently the status s quite good, as
> many drivers have been backported, but I doubt this can continue
> eternally.

Personally (i am not wearing any hat other than a user of my our own
packages) no. It would be overkilling in time.

> > * Should we ensure that multiple implementations of the X Window System
> >  are packaged, or standardize on just one?
>
> I cannot think of why it would be useful to have e.g. libx11.so from
> both xorg and http://freedesktop.org/Software/xlibs in Debian. - Apart
> from the fact that they are the same code the interfaces are
> standardized.
>
> Afaict the X-strike force _cannot_ ensure that only a single
> implementation is packaged, they can only choose the package only a
> single implementation themselves.

This is a good point that other people have already discussed in the
thread.

> > * If we standardize on just one, which one should it be?
> [...]
>
> The one that is going to fulfill the criteria listed at the top of the
> screen when we are thinking about releasing sarge+1.

We are only thinking of sarge+1 here. There would be no time to switch
tree (speaking quality wise).

Fabio

--
<user> fajita: step one
<fajita> Whatever the problem, step one is always to look in the error log.