ATI and SiS users: please test SVN trunk

Some large changes have been incorporated into the XSF XFree86 SVN trunk
recently:

  Grab updated XFree86 X server I2C code from XFree86 CVS as of 2003-08-29.
  Implements and exposes xf86I2CGetScreenBuses() function.  This aids in
  backporting updated drivers that use this function (e.g., ati/atimisc).

  Grab updated XFree86 X server Xv code from XFree86 CVS as of 2003-04-30.  This
  aids in backported updated drivers.

  Backport ATI driver from XFree86 CVS as of 2004-02-11, including support for
  "ForceMinDotClock" option to Radeon driver.

  Grab SiS driver from Thomas Winischhofer's website.

It is important that we have feedback on these changes.  Because I only
have access to a very limited selection of video hardware, I cannot do
very comprehensive testing myself.  I invite all users of ATI and SiS
video hardware to build and test the SVN trunk as documented in the
HACKING file.

  Building the package
  --------------------

  The following procedure is recommended for build-testing the trunk.  Example
  commands are given for most steps.

   1) Ensure Debian unstable is in your sources.list.
   2) Install the packages you'll need to build the xfree86 source package.
       apt-get build-dep xfree86
   3) Install devscripts, which will make life easier.
       apt-get install devscripts
   4) Retrieve the Debian xfree86 source package.
       apt-get source xfree86
   5) Change directories into the unpackaged source tree.
       cd xfree86-4.3.0
   6) Remove the debian/ directory.
       rm -r debian
   7) Export the debian directory of the trunk of the XFree86 Subversion
      repository.
       svn export svn://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xfree86/trunk/debian debian
      (You can use the --revision option if necessary.)
   8) Create a changelog entry that identifies this as a local build.  THIS STEP
      IS IMPORTANT.  DO NOT LEAVE IT OUT.
       dch -D local -i "Local build for testing purposes."
      (Feel free to be more specific with the text of the changelog entry.)
   9) Build the package.
       debuild -us -uc
  10) Upgrade to the resulting packages.
       dpkg -iO ../*.deb

Please report success or failure to this discussion thread.

Thanks!

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Imagination was given man to
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    compensate for what he is not, and