Re: Start preparing xfree86 4.3.0.dfsg.1-2

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 08:41:13PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 18:48, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> > On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Michel Dnzer wrote:
> > > Let me point out again that there is actually a bug in the
> > > xserver-xfree86 r128 and radeon drivers: they don't deal gracefully with
> > > the DRI initialisation failing late in the game. However, IMHO it's the
> > > responsibility of the people who want to remove the firmware from the
> > > kernel packages to fix this, as this bug is very unlikely to trigger
> > > otherwise (basically takes a buggy DRM).
> >
> > Yes I understand that. Would that bug shows up again in other situations
> > other than this one? I read in another message that you can dig out a
> > patch for this problem. Would you mind to post it here?
>
> http://penguinppc.org/~daenzer/DRI/applied/radeon-accelinit.diff is the
> radeon fix.

Thanks; I have added this patch to the TODO; it's Fabio's call as to
whether it becomes a must-have fix for -2, but I suspect it should.

To devolve into a parlance I've seen elsewhere (such as on Subversion's
development list) Fabio, please count me as voting +1 on adding this to
the TODO for -2.

Michel, this fixes the following, right?

	(EE) RADEON(0): RADEONCPGetBuffer: CP reset -1020
	(EE) RADEON(0): RADEONCPGetBuffer: CP start -1020
	(EE) RADEON(0): RADEONCPGetBuffer: CP GetBuffer -1020
	(EE) RADEON(0): GetBuffer timed out, resetting engine...
[repeat until /var fills up]

Just making sure I understand the problem, symptoms, and solution correctly.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    If you wish to strive for peace of
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    soul, then believe; if you wish to