Re: Fabio Massimo di Nitto release-managing XFree86 4.3.0-8

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 01:33:35PM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> > To summarize an IRC discussion we had:
> >
> > 1) Changes should be made on the trunk, and *merged* onto
> >    branches/4.3.0/sid.
>
> Exactly (see note below for unmerge).
>
> > 2) Any committer can merge a change from trunk to branches/4.3.0/sid,
> >    *BUT* the commit message needs to indicate who tested the change set
> >    (and on what hardware, if applicable).
>
> Please for everybody try to be as verbose as you can. Better one line of
> log more than one less.

I concur with this.  If a commit message is too long, it can always be
edited later with "svn pe --revprov -r $REV svn:log $REPO".

> > 3) The release manager has the right to unmerge any change as unsuitable
> >    for release.
>
> I would rather prefer to speed up both the process of merge/unmerge. After
> you committed into trunk, the commit log will show up in the mailing list.
> If noone objects to it within 48 hours, you are allowed to merge.

Okay.  In that case I suggest that any commits not intended for merge to
branches/4.3.0/sid sooner rather than later be kept *off* the trunk and
done on a different branch altogether.

> As RM i don't want to introduce any technical delay on your work. If we
> disagree on a certain operation/patch/merge the same person that commit
> the change will revert it. It is easier, faster and cleaner imho.

Sounds good.

> > 4) The release manager should decide on release goals.  To do this, I
> >    suggest using the debian/TODO file; create a header for 4.3.0-8 and
> >    stick whatever items in it you think need to be done.  However, if
> >    you have a better idea for documenting the release goals, go for it.
>
> It is fine with me. Let's put out -8 at your discrection since i am still
> in the mess of moving around and it would be exrtmely stupid for me to
> delay anything from the beginning. From -9 we will go as i suggested in
> the other mail. bi-weekly release or 10 bugs to close (with flexibility
> and so on....)

We've spoken in IRC since then and I agree with scheduling -8 for the
end of next week; sooner if circumstances warrant.

> > Over the next couple of days, I'll try and provide some examples of 1)
> > and 2) with some of the several changes pending on the trunk.  You can
> > provide the example of 4), and of 3) if you really need to.  :)
>
> Perfect :-)

Things got hellish for me at work this week, so I will try to provide
these examples over the weekend.

> PS I am back moving boxes and painting walls... ;)

Heh, I hope you're not allergic to paint.  :)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Life is what happens to you while
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     you're busy making other plans.