Re: Packaging a Grafix Driver, Conflicts xlibmesa-gl

[Are you subscribed to this list?  If so, sorry for the private copy.]

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 12:04:30PM -0800, ms419@freezone.co.uk wrote:
> Dpkg newb. here. Been installing my grafix card's closed source driver
> - ugly, ugly business. But I'm in love w/ the "Debian way", so I
> thought I'd have a go at installing it using Debian package management
> tools.
>
> So far so good. The driver comes w/ its own "libGL.so.1.3.0"

Does it absolutely, positively *need* this?

> - it's installer ( <- I don't like the installer) *purges* all other
> libGL. So if I role a package - it's supposed to work w/ xfree86 -
> should I make it "Provides: libgl1" or "Provides: xlibmesa-gl"? Should
> it be "Conflicts: xlibmesa-gl", so xlibmesa-gl's libGL.so.1 is
> removed?
>
> Thanks 4 any tips!

You should probably do what xlibmesa-gl does:

  Package: xlibmesa-gl
  Section: libs
  Architecture: any
  Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}
  Suggests: libglide3, xlibmesa-dri
  Conflicts: libgl1, libutahglx1, xlibmesa3 (<< 4.2.1-5), xlibmesa3-gl
  Provides: libgl1
  Replaces: libgl1, libutahglx1, xlibmesa3 (<< 4.2.1-5), xlibmesa3-gl

"Conflicts" tells the package manager that the packages cannot be
simultaneously installed, which is always the case when you have two
(up-to-date) packages attempting to supply the same file.

"Provides" tells the package manager that anything that depends on the
virtual package "libgl1" can satisfy its dependency with your package
instead.  All (or nearly all) GL-dependent packages in Debian have their
dependencies constructed so that this works.

"Replaces", when used with "Conflicts", tells the package manager that
your package completely replaces the one it conflicts with.

Chapter 7 of the Debian Policy Manual covers this subject in detail.
I would install it with "apt-get install debian-policy" or a similar
command, and then settle down with a cup of coffee and browse the
following URL:

file:///usr/share/doc/debian-policy/policy.html/ch-relationships.html

I hope this is of some assistance.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Half of being smart is knowing what
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    you're dumb at.