Re: XFree86 4.3.0 and testing (was: when will the release release)

Around 11 o'clock on Apr 3, Andreas Schuldei wrote:

> As i see it X differs mostly from apache in this regard: it is a
> bitch because of the hardware. i would like to see the
> machinepark and logistics to be able to compile and test all the
> patches.

It's precisely like the kernel in this regard; and the worst part of the
kernel is always the device drivers because so few people can test each
one.

Fixes which affect only one video driver should be subject to
significantly less scrutiny than fixes which affect libraries or the core
X server itself.  Of course, letting those drivers be released on an
hourly basis would make this a lot less painful.

Oh, ATI is working on building a sufficient infrastructure to test their
cards.  They do support the open source drivers, so it's quite reasonable
to get their help in testing new releases for those chips.

Any of you are also welcome to fix bugs upstream as soon as Debian
migrates away from XFree86 4.3; I'm hoping that the combined efforts of
SuSE, Debian and Red Hat will slowly whittle down the steaming pile of
bugs which has accumulated over the years.

-keith