Re: Changed library interface causing FTBFS of cernlib?

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 06:24:31AM -0500, Kevin B. McCarty wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I've gotten a bunch of FTBFSes for cernlib 2003.09.03-4 which I assume are
>> related to the new X release.  The problem is that when linking a program
>> with these flags,
>
> Yes, I'm getting a few strange reports like this.  To be honest I don't
> yet know if it's a package bug or some sort of weirdness inflicted on
> the buildds due to kludge necessary to work around the fact that
> xlibs-dev is now an architecture-independent pseudopackage.

Err, the "kludge" was simply making xlibs-dev from 4.2.1 available to
the buildds and hiding the arch:all 4.3.0 version.  I can't conceive
how that would cause any problems - never mind something like this.

I haven't looked at the log, but I suspect this is probably just more
fallout from the hanging postrm bug that's in -2[1].

--
James

[1] As I explained on IRC: sbuild installs new X library packages,
    builds package, tries to remove them, postrm hangs due to missing
    argument to grep, sbuild times out and kills the dpkg process,
    dpkg gets confused and thinks the library package it was in the
    process of removing is still "installed but with no files"... next
    package that tries to use that library fails (often in bizarre
    ways) because the library's not actually there.