Re: Stupid build failures for XFree86 4.3.0-2

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 01:20:56PM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> >From the i386 buildd log:
> >The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> >  groff: Depends: libxaw7 (> 4.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
> >         Depends: xlibs (> 4.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
> >  libglide2-dev: Depends: libglide2 but it is not going to be installed
> >  libglide3-dev: Depends: libglide3 but it is not going to be installed
> >  libxcursor-dev: Depends: libxcursor1 (= 1.0.2-4) but it is not going to be installed
> >                  Depends: xlibs-dev but it is not going to be installed
> >  libxft-dev: Depends: libxft2 (= 2.1.2-5) but it is not going to be installed
> >              Depends: xlibs-dev but it is not going to be installed
> >  libxrender-dev: Depends: libxrender1 (= 0.8.3-5) but it is not going to be installed
> >                  Depends: xlibs-dev but it is not going to be installed
> >                  Depends: render-dev but it is not going to be installed
> >  tetex-bin: Depends: libxaw7 (> 4.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
> >             Depends: t1lib1 but it is not going to be installed
> >             Depends: xlibs (> 4.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
>
> Gah?  All of these look bogus to a lesser or greater extent, but what needs
> to be done about them?

James Troup, on IRC and a few of the porting lists, speculated that this
is a buildd problem, and gave instructions for working around it.

I asked him if he thought it was due a packaging bug, and he wasn't sure
but seemed to think it probably wasn't.

The package seems to be perfectly buildable in a sid chroot using
debuild or dpkg-buildpackage.  I wouldn't have uploaded it if it
weren't, and this approach also worked on i386 and s390 (at least).

The xfree86 package has a way of pushing the limits of the buildds, in
various respects.  :)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Of two competing theories or
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    explanations, all other things