Re: another person asking for help slanders those who try to help

Advance apologies for something off-topic, but Branden and I
apparently have pet peeves that simultaneously overlap and clash.

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 11:57:07PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> rgx@gmx.de:
>
> If you're going to ask people on a mailing list, it is wise to configure
> your MTA such that it does not -- or use an ISP that does not -- libel
> those people as spammers.

    *cough*  While I am absolutely no fan of blacklisting based on
IP ranges containing systems with potentially dynamic IPs, the postfix
response clearly indicated that the mail was blocked for this reason,
not because you or anyone using your IP address (or even IP range) is
a spammer.

    While I am quite sympathetic to your frustration, inaccurate
rantage hurts, not helps.  The problem here isn't collateral damage
from overly broad ranges around spammers (a-la-SPEWS), but
discrimination against people with low-cost internet connections just
because spammers are often on a tight budget.

> I personally find it rude to ask questions and then plug one's ears
> to those who attempt to answer them.

    I certainly agree with this, however.  People, please check your
blacklists, and if you're using a list with high potential collateral
damage, set your MTA to warn, not block.

--
Zed Pobre <zed@resonant.org> a.k.a. Zed Pobre <zed@debian.org>
PGP key and fingerprint available on finger; encrypted mail welcomed.