Re: X Strike Force XFree86 SVN commit: rev 1003 - /

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 07:43:39PM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> Basically, you just want branches/4.3.0/sid to "become" the trunk, right?

Well, yes, but only the right way, which is by merging the changes onto
the trunk.

> If you're not worrying about somehow trying to get the trunk history
> attached to the branch (and my advice is: don't, as it will mess up
> the *branch* history),

The branch history is already messed up.  It wasn't properly branched
from the trunk in the first place.

It's the trunk history I want to preserve.

> then I believe there's a very straightforward, if moderately demented,
> way of doing this in SVN:
>
> svn mv trunk branches/old-trunk
> svn cp branches/4.3.0/sid trunk
> svn commit
>
> The wonders of versioned renames and moves.  :-)

I think I will probably do this instead (pseudo SVN commands):

svn cp trunk branches/4.3.0/sid-branched-properly

[make this branch look like revision 50 of branches/4.3.0/sid, except
 for the patches/ directory]

svn ci
svn merge -r 50:HEAD branches/4.3.0/sid branches/4.3.0/sid-branched-properly
svn revert branches/4.3.0/sid-branched-properly/debian/patches

[un-renumber patches and get them up to date with branches/4.3.0/sid]

svn ci
svn merge -r NNNN:HEAD branches/4.3.0/sid-branched-properly trunk
svn ci
svn rm branches/4.3.0/sid branches/4.3.0/sid-branched-properly
svn ci

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Notions like Marxism and
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     Freudianism belong to the history