Nice Value

Several months back there was a Debconf question adjusting the Nice
value of X, but I haven't seen it lately.

Should I expect SID's X with ATI's propritary drivers with a Radeon 9700
to use (a) low resources relative to a big compile job in an X-terminal
or (b) moderate resources.

I checked top and XFree86 was the #2 process while cpp was #1.  My CPU
was pegged and the % CPU for Xfree86 was usually < 5%, but my computer
"feels" faster outside of X -- is that perception totally false?

Should I tweak the nice value?

Please reply directly, I'm not on list.