xmodmap Problem

Hello,

I am loading an xmodmap using

$ xmodmap .Xmodmap

and .Xmodmap looks like this

$ cat .Xmodmap
! The first four keysyms are reached as follows:
! 1. The decision between keysym1 or keysym2 (and keysym3 or keysym4)
!    is done by the key with the keysym Shift_[LR] (or maybe by the key
!    with the modifier bit keysym
! 2. The decision between the keysym1/keysym2 and keysym3/keysym4 group is
!    done by the key with generates the Mode_switch keysym (which is in this
!    case the left Alt key).

keycode  30 = u U udiaeresis
keycode  32 = o O odiaeresis
keycode  38 = a A adiaeresis
keycode  39 = s S ssharp
keycode 0x1A = e  E EuroSign cent
keycode 113 = Mode_switch
$

This worked for years now very reliable, now I have a system for which it does
not work any more since today.

I ran xkeycaps and it shows that the xmodmap command changed the keymaps, but
it simply does not work, when I am using it in X.

I have not a good idea how to debug this...

My system is woody, with a standard woody X

XFree86 Version 4.1.0.1 / X Window System
Release Date: 21 December 2001
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
        newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
        reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.20-8um i686 [ELF]

Any input is welcome....

Thanks,
Rainer