/usr/lib/X11 symlink problems

Hello,

I have quite an old install and my /usr/ was not large
enough, so I copied it elsewhere and had /usr/lib/ be
a symlink. It worked, but just the X packages where to
be installed with some caution for some time.

Now I cannot install it as xfree86-common complains.
Yet I do believe it is correct, see for yourself:

shekinah /usr/lib # ls -la X11
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 18 Dec 20 12:04 X11 -> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/

Obviously due to the (good or bad) decision to put /usr/lib/
elsewhere a relative link does not work for me.

Any good ideas or clever thoughts? I will have to go through
the postinst script for this time to get it installled fine,
but that's a bad thing to do.

Thanks,
Alexander