Re: XKB on xserver

[Mr. van Grootheest, are you subscribed to debian-x?  If so, I apologize
for the private copy of this mail.]

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 09:11:55PM +0100, Jan Evert van Grootheest wrote:
> I've got a question that I hope someone here can answer.  I have this
> machine 'joe' that is really only used as an x-terminal. So it's got
> almost no packages installed.  The only X packages I installed are the
> xserver-xfree86 and its dependecies (xserver-common and xfree86-common).
>
> Since my wife is russian and I'm dutch, I really would like XKB support.
> But it appears that one really needs to install xbase-clients to get
> that.
>
> Some more about the setup... quark is the application server and runs
> gdm. It also supplies everything else. It is the main machine in the
> house. Its XKB support works just fine.  Joe starts X from inittab using
> '-query quark'. And unless quark is used for W2k for kids games, it works
> just great!
>
> What I would like is to have XKB on joe without all the useless stuff
> that's being dragged in by xbase-clients. How do I do that?  I don't
> think this is an unusual situation, is it?

It is fairly uncommon.

What you want to do is use "xkbcomp" on a machine that has xbase-clients
installed to compile a keymap file corresponding to the desired
configuration, and then transfer that .xkm file to the X terminal, where
you can use the X server's -xkbmap option to load it.

Please see xkbcomp(1x) and Xserver(1x) for more information.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    America is at that awkward stage.
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    It's too late to work within the