Re: x.org packages needed (how may I help?)

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 01:51:47PM +0000, ROBERTOJIMENOCA wrote:
> I need xorg packages for Debian to continue development of xorg
> integration in Debian.
>
> I can't continue development of xfree86 integration in Debian because I
> don't know if the problem in already fixed in xorg and I don't want to
> start even to look at code that is probably different in xorg.
>
> How may I help?

I haven't had time to look at X.Org for a couple of weeks -- and nobody
else has been committing anything (Fabio's new responsibilities at Ubuntu
have pulled him away from it), but here's the situation:

Fabio designed a highly modularized packaging of XOrg.  You can look at his
preliminary efforts in the xorg repository of the X Strike Force[1].

Unfortunately, the amount of labor it would take to finish that process
was, as I understand it, not something Ubuntu was willing to underwrite,
and it was more than Fabio (or I) had spare time to accomplish.

Therefore, what we're looking at is shifting over to a monolithic "xorg"
source package, much like the monolithic "xfree86" source package we have
right now.  This doesn't rule out finishing up the modularized packaging
and transitioning to it later, but we don't to wait for that work to be
done to put XOrg packages in Debian.

Fabio told me that there was actually very little that had to be changed in
the xfree86 Debian packaging to support this.  Of course, he's speaking
from the perspective of someone who's familiar with the Debian packages of
xfree86 -- I imagine "very little" looks much larger to a person who hasn't
ever used dpkg-buildpackage before.  :)

Towards this end, Fabio has created an "ubunutu" branch in the xfree86
repository of the X Strike Force[2].  What we need to do is review how that
branch differs from the mainline, and decide what to do about the
differences.  There are some things that probably won't be suitable for
Debian as-is, like the new X server configuration stuff (see the long
argument between Sven Luther and Daniel Stone on this subject[3]).

Fabio informed me, though, that really not much needed to change.  So, with
luck, preparation of XOrg packages for Debian will be pretty
straightforward -- once the foundations are laid.

If you (or anyone else reading this) would like to assist with laying those
foundations by reviewing the differences between the ubuntu branch and the
trunk[4], that would be greatly appreciated.

In any case, I'm pretty sure I'd like to see the first uploads of XOrg
targeted at experimental, not unstable, even if sarge is released by then.

[1] svn://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xorg/
[2] svn://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xfree86/branches/ubuntu/
[3] http://bugs.debian.org/243575
[4] E.g., with:
    svn diff svn://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xfree86/trunk \
             svn://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xfree86/branches/ubuntu/

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     If you have the slightest bit of
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     intellectual integrity you cannot