Re: User specific environment variables?

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 08:40:03AM +0100, Hadmut Danisch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question about /etc/X11/Xsession.d:
>
> When a user logs in with a dm, e.g. gdm,
> and chooses KDE or Gnome, then the
> user's .xsession is not executed, even if
> allowed in /etc/X11/Xsession.options.
>
> Since also the ~$HOME/.profile or
> $HOME/.login are never executed, the user
> has no chance to set individual environment
> variables. How is he supposed to do that?

$HOME/.bashrc
$HOME/.zshrc
$HOME/.cshrc
$HOME/.tcshrc

...or whatever is appropriate to your preferred shell interpreter.  Its
manpage should tell you.

People seem to be confused by this because they don't understand the
difference between a login shell and an interactive shell.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    To Republicans, limited government
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    means not assisting people they