Re: DPI, font size, and Debian

On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 09:19:25PM -0600, Billy Biggs wrote:
>   Regardless, my proposal is simply to have Xft always default to 96
> DPI, independent of the DPI value you put in X.

I read your proposal, and find it is a good one (well argued and
everything). However, this means that the real dpi value has to be
easily made accessible, as well as adequate font rendering, for all
imaging and press applications (gimp, image viewers, gpdf, ggv, scribus,
inkscape and co, and ideally Acrobat Reader, but hey).

I am no programmer and do not know how easy it is to make it a switch
(the case of the video projector is a good one, up to the point where
somebody will want to proof a 4m×3m poster using gpdf and a video
projector). I already know that I must set acroread to 137% to obtain
real size.

However, default margins in all widgets probably should be measured using
DPI-related (the font DPI, not the other one) units. If one wants big
fonts

However, Keith's computation is a bit hard: I tested 120 dpi with my
1600x1200 and already find those fonts are gigantic. I would not like
staying with 150.

By the way, I cannot make sense of the font sizes in firefox. Looks like
it uses 75 dpi or 72 dpi as a reference.
--
JCD