Re: DPI, font size, and Debian

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 09:26 +0100, Jean-Christophe Dubacq wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 10:18:42PM -0600, Billy Biggs wrote:
> >   Right now, GNOME users default to 96 DPI, xdm users default to 100
> > DPI, and other users are randomly assigned DPIs anywhere in the range of
> > 75-133.  I believe that right now, we should adopt the GNOME standard
> > everywhere as the default value for DPI.
> Fine to set a default/fallback value.
>
> However, the real solution is to have a DisplaySize line in all Monitors
> section in every XF86Config-4. That way, I do get a 99x98 DPI monitor.
>
> This will get easier as monitors use more and more intelligent
> technologies.

At the moment, I have two boxes I use frequently. One has a DPI of 106,
the other has a DPI of 120. Personally, the defaults probably should be
something sane, like 96x96, and almost immediately after first login
there should be a 'wizard' dialogue box explaining about the DPI and
enquiring if the user wants to change it.

The best scenario would be if X + Desktop Environment picked up on the
actual DPI of the screen(s) and adjusted for that automatically.

--
Anders Karlsson <anders@trudheim.com>
Trudheim Technology Limited