Re: X Strike Force XFree86 SVN commit: r1880 - trunk/debian

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 01:01:48AM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> X Strike Force SVN Repository Admin wrote:
> > +* Add Debian-specific patch to uxterm to call validlocale(8) before trying to
> > +  launch xterm, per recommendation from Recai Oktas.  If a valid locale isn't
> > +  set, bail out (would resolve #246398).  (This patch would be Debian-specific
> > +  because validlocale is a Perl utility provided by base-config.)
>
> Yikes. If you need to use validlocale, please get it moved to some other
> package first.

Eh?  I was just going to test for it the way I usually do such things:

if which validlocale >/dev/null 2>&1; then
  do_my_business
fi

Why does it matter which Essential package validlocale is in, or even if it
is present at all?

If validlocale is not present, I can't check the locale, but that's not a
fatal error.  This is just a guard to help people understand why things
don't work, but if the necessary infrastructure is not in place, they'll
just have to figure it out (or ask).

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    If I recall correctly, devfs went
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    straight from being marked as