Re: X Strike Force XFree86 SVN commit: r1836 - in trunk/debian: . local

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 10:19:25PM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> This is much easier to understand, thanks. But I am not comfortable
> with the first paragraph.  It seems to imply that Mode_Switch has a
> similar effect than AltGr, but alternate group being locked.
> Since XFree86 4.3 this is no more true, groups are defined with
> at most 4 columns, AltGr displays glyphs of 3rd and 4th columns
> for the current group, but does not switch group.  OTOH Mode_Switch
> switches group, but cannot display glyphs of 3rd and 4th columns.

Ahhhh.  I wish I had read this when you first mailed it.

> Since you give a detailed description of groups, you could mention
> that at most 4 groups can be used simultaneously.

Okay.

> In the last paragraph about fake keys, some applications work better
> when setting altwin:super_win (if logo keys have to be bound to Super)
> but not GNU emacs, it has to be patched as explained in #255286.

Okay.

> We could provide a debian:no_fake_keys to disable fake keys, let me
> know if you believe that it is a good idea.  IMO it is, the more options
> are provded to users, the better.

I'll omit this part, since your recent discoveries have shown
debian:no_fake_keys to not bear the fruit we had hoped.

I will update the FAQ.

Thanks a lot!

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      If you don't think for yourself,
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      others will think for you -- to