Re: BUG?: SIGSEGV in get_rotate_fontname() in omGeneric.c

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 09:15:48AM +0100, David Greaves wrote:
> Branden Robinson wrote:
> >If you could provide us with a small program that exercises this bug, it
> >would be helpful.
[...]
> Hi
> Thanks for getting back to me.

No problem.  I try to respond to bug reports and requests for help on the
lists as quickly as I can, but there are a lot of them.  :)

> I did consider filing a bug but several things prevented me:
> * I didn't compile X - I just used the debug versions of the library and
> dl'ed the src to step through
> * The smallest test case I currently have is part of Qt - I later tried
> writing a small test that passed the same params to the same call and it
> worked fine (grr)

Hmmm.  I smell gunpowder.

> So I thought I'd try and discuss it rather than call it a bug in X when
> it could be in any of X, Qt or the application (a plugin to designer -
> the Qt IDE) :)
> (oh, and it's possible that I have some 'duff' fonts since I've
> installed a variety of weird 3rd party ones for use in the Gimp etc)
>
> Having said this I did decide it was likely to be a bug in X given it
> segfaulted when the args passed were clean - it should never do that. I
> figured something internal to X had been corrupted (possibly by my fonts)
> BTW, I'm not alone in seeing this behaviour - google found me an obscure
> report which I think is the exact same thing that dated back to late 2003.
>
> So - next step? File a bug or discuss it further? (The point of
> discussing it first is to help me close in on the problem - eg you may
> have a debug routine to dump X's fontcache or something - I wouldn't
> have a clue where to start with that kind of thing)
>
> David
> PS FWIW I now work around the problem by never using italic fonts in the
> syntax highlighting in the editor - but I'm still up for putting in the
> time to help fix the bug.

I think it may be the case that Qt is passing a null pointer to Xlib.

I recommend filing a bug against libqt3.  If the bug is actually in Xlib,
it will be reassigned appropriately.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Don't use nuclear weapons to
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     troubleshoot faults.