Re: test results from branches/debconf-overhaul

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 09:48:37AM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> Upgrading from -6 to -6+SVN i have been warned 3 times that my
> configuration has been customized. Probably one should be enough.

Okay.  I'm pondering how to fix this.  I might need to do something like
check for the existence of /var/run/xserver-xfree86_config_nag anytime I
want to spew this to the user, spew and touch it if it doesn't exist, and
remove the file at the end of the postinst.

I'm not sure how else to track state across the upgrade process.
Suggestiosn welcome.

> On fresh install (meaning a real purge of xserver-xfree86 and no
> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4)
>
>  + Make the "medium" monitor configuration interface the default
>
> but it still defaults to Simple here.

I think I fixed this in r1858:

Update logic in configure_monitor() to actually use information collected
from read-edid utilities, add comments, and trace the function's operation.
Thanks to Jay Berkenbilt for his analysis.  (Closes: #229850)

> mode-list templates is asked after unpacking.. weird.. it should still be
> part of config.

This might be resolved by r1858, and even if not, there's more tracing
going on, so if this happens again, let's look at the config log and try to
puzzle out why this happens.

> Also the new comments in this template are ok, but they make the text too
> long. On a normal console it will show only 2 lines to select from. It is
> more a usability issue than anything else.. it works.

I don't think this is a big deal.

> In postinst i am asked if i want to detect video hardware.. doh!
> And the first time i answer the question, indipendently from the answer, i
> will be prompted again. Only at the second time it will exit properly.

Hrm.  If you can reproduce this post-r1858, let me have a look at the
config log.

> This behaviour is reproducible constantly so it should be pretty simple to
> debug.

Yeah, hence my desire for the config log.

> PS of course i will try to debug all the problems.. but this is more FYI
> :-)

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     I suspect Linus wrote that in a
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     complicated way only to be able to