Re: Still having lots of trouble with Alt/Meta keys

Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org> writes:

> All I want is for my Windows keys to send Meta, and xterm to treat that like
> Escape.  This requires XTerm*metaSendsEscape: true.  [For some reason, I have
> to start an xterm, run xrdb in it, and start a new xterm for this to take
> effect.  I can't run it from a VT with $DISPLAY set; it just switches to the
> X server instead of merging resources.  Huh.]

Try running xrdb with the -retain option:

       -retain This  option indicates that the server should be instructed not
               to reset if xrdb is the first client.  This never be necessary
(sic.)
               under  normal conditions, since xdm and xinit always act as the
               first client.

Finger amu@monk.mit.edu (NOT a valid e-mail address) for more info.